You must log in to access your account.

Back Country Trail Lovers

Group Avatar

deleted

Group avatar

Admins

← Forum

• ← Group Forum | Forum Topic Directory

What do you think about grooming on the steeper classic trails? (4 posts)

• Avatar Image Charles Hodgson said 5 days, 10 hours ago:

The NCC is thinking of not grooming trails like #8 and #17 this season. I'm going to do a video exploring this a little but I'd like the opinions of other people who really enjoy these trails.

• Avatar Image Charles Hodgson said 4 days, 12 hours ago:

One implication that I came across while skiing and breaking trail along an ungroomed Skyline Trail (#6) was that snowshoers may be less aware that these are ski trails and there could be more skier – snowshoe friction.

• Avatar Image Charles Hodgson said 2 days, 16 hours ago:

Now that I've posted the video on this I wanted to list here what the issues I mentioned there were. The NCC is most concerned about safety and getting injured skiers out (though the record of skiers injured shows practically none at all on these trails in recent years). Other issues are keeping the trails clear of fallen branches and downed trees.Trail condition reporting and use by snowshowers or walkers are also possible issues.

• Avatar Image Brenda Fawcett said 2 days, 12 hours ago:

Just watched your video – I personally am THRILLED that they no longer will be grooming those trails.
    Like you mention, exactly how many "rescue missions" have been required in the past?
    The skiers need/do to take a good portion of respsonibility on these trails…and with so much technology (GPS, cells, compact down jackets) available and in use by skiers, seems the liklihood of not getting assistance is less and less.
    As for trail maintenance issues, again, why not have volunteer ski maintenance crews (maybe for a reduced park pass rate??)…yes, there might be occasion where a chain saw is requred, but 90% of the time a manual saw is fine, which poses limite risk if attached properly to backpacks. Or go in on snowshoes for trail maintenance.

Anyway, I think there are enough overly groomed trails (like #3 burma) that leaving the "classics' like 8 and 17 provides the variety that supports a broad set of skier types.

As for snowshoers…would they like those trails? It's the "thrill of the hill" (on 17 and 8) for skiers…not so sure snowshoers are as drawn to them.